Today is the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows and I’d like to share with you how the 7 Sorrows of Mary correspond to the 7 Gifts of the Holy Spirit:
Discover how the Seven Sorrows of Our Lady relate to the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit:
If you don’t see the video in you, you can watch it here.
And here’s the podcast version:
Please share this on Facebook to honor the feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows:
It is a tradition for Catholics to say daily one Our Father and seven Hail Mary for each.
- The Prophecy of Simeon. (Luke 2:34-35)
- The Flight into Egypt. (Matthew 2:13)
- The Loss of the Child Jesus in the Temple. (Luke 2:43-45)
- Mary Meets Jesus on the Way to Calvary. (Luke 23:26)
- Jesus Dies on the Cross. (John 19:25)
- Mary Receives the Body of Jesus in Her Arms. (Matthew 27:57-59)
- The Body of Jesus is Placed in the Tomb. (John 19:40-42)
The Seven Sorrows of Mary also correspond to the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit:
- The Prophecy of Simeon – Fear of the Lord (Mary is explicitly reminded of her sorrowful vocation: “a sword shall pierced thy soul”)
- The Flight into Egypt – Piety (Mary fulfills her duties toward Joseph and Jesus in a foreign land)
- The Loss of the Child Jesus in the Temple – Knowledge (Mary’s knowledge of Christ’s identity as the Son of God)
- Mary Meets Jesus on the Way to Calvary – Fortitude (Mary’s strength in seeing Christ in His Passion)
- Jesus Dies on the Cross – Counsel (Mary is the spiritual guide and counselor for all who seek her crucified Son)
- Mary Receives the Body of Jesus in Her Arms – Understanding (As Mary holds the dead body of her Son, she perceives His coming resurrection)
- The Body of Jesus is Placed in the Tomb – Wisdom (Christ is hidden but Mary’s soul continues to see Christ and communicate with Him)
Since Mary is the Spouse of the Holy Spirit, this should come as no surprise to us.
You can leave a comment by clicking here.