Are you discouraged? Have you lost your energy? Did you lose that kick in your step?
If you want more JOY in your life, then you need to experience more forgiveness…
- The best way to experience this joyful mercy is to go to confession.
- Most of us received instruction on how to make a confession way back when we were seven years old.
- Since then, we have received little instruction on how to make a good confession.
- That’s too bad, because our sins at age 7 are very different than our sins at age 25, 35, 45, and so on…
How to Make a “Grown-Up” Confession:
Here’s a video I created on how to prepare for confession thoroughly and quickly (using a mental “7 deadly sin check list” based on the acronym “PALEGAS”). This method, if used prayerfully, will allow you to make more thorough confessions.
To begin watching the video, click here.
One final tip: if you are still nervous about confessing a sin, do 3 things:
- Look at the crucifix in the confessional, and know that you are confessing to Jesus who has an infinite desire to forgive you.
- Confess your sins out loud to God before you go to confession (make sure that you close your door!)
- Most importantly, if you are nervous in the confessional say these words, “Father I’m kind of nervous and I don’t know how to confess this one. Can you help me?” Father will kindly help you back off the ledge of fear. Priests now how to tenderly help you voice your sin. He’s heard it before. He won’t judge you! Priests (and the angels) rejoice when a sinner repents!
Question: How do you prepare for Confession? Do you have any other tricks or helpful advice for us? You can leave a comment by clicking here.
PS: I’m giving a free online live webinar tonight (July 7) at 8pm Central about strategies on sharing your Catholic Faith with others. 549 People have signed up for this free online hangout. You can register for free by clicking here.