In Sacred Scripture, the number forty is a sign of penance:
- God made it rain for forty days and forty nights in the days of Noah (Gen 7:4 – by the way they only ate fish on the ark, not meat)
- Moses spent forty days fasting on Mount Sinai with God (Exodus 24:18)
- The People of Israel people wandered forty years traveling to the Promised Land (Numbers 14:33)
- Elijah spent forty days and forty nights walking to Mount Horeb (1 Kings 19:8)
- Jonah prophesied forty days of judgment for Nineveh to repent (Jonah 3:4).
- Jesus fasted for forty days days in the wilderness, and was tempted by the devil (Matthew 4:1-2, Mark 1:12-13, Luke 4:1-2)
- Jesus was also in the tomb for about forty hours.
Download My Book for Free
Thomas Aquinas in 50 Pages
Over 15,000 copies downloaded! This is a quick and easy way to learn the basic philosophy and theology of Saint Thomas Aquinas. The Popes of the last 300 years have endorsed St Thomas Aquinas. Learn more through this accessible resources. Download it for free.